Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Austin Competes for a Cause

As a fairly new runner who has participated in several races, I never realized how much of my entry fees were going to charities and organizations. By paying registration costs anywhere from $20 to $90 per person for events with up to 30,000 participants, I’ve helped raise some serious cash.

It didn’t hit me until running the 2011 Austin Half Marathon that I recognized the overwhelming amount of money fitness groupies bring in for those in need. I joined a LIVESTRONG team in January, and before I knew it, race day and over $300,000 for cancer research had come and gone. My small team of college friends alone raised $5,000.
Me and two of my LIVESTRONG teammates, Simone and Neven. Photo credit: Liz Spector.

Bike rides, runs and walks, triathlons, obstacle courses in the mud – you name it, Austin’s got it. And more than likely, it’s for a good cause. Even my very first race, the 2009 Turkey Trot, raised tens of thousands of dollars for the YMCA. And I thought I was just going for a nice jog before some turkey and football.
Does Austin’s love for fitness and training just happen to lead to donations, or do those who love to work out also love to help out?
The Make-A-Wish Foundation, a nonprofit that grants the wishes of children with life-threatening diseases, is just one example of an organization that uses fitness activities to fundraise. This year, the Make-A-Wish Foundation of Central & South Texas is hosting Over The Edge on June 25, where teams raise $1,500 to send one brave member to rappel “Over the Edge” of One American Center in downtown Austin.
Some brave atheletes will rappel down these 32 stories. Photo credit: Thomas Properties Group.

“Over the Edge will appeal to Austinites because Austin is a very youthful and active city, always looking for the next adventure,” said Chad Wicks, director of development for the Central Texas region of Make-A-Wish. “There are a lot of things to do in the outdoor community, and this is right up the alley of the people who live here. Our fundraising goal is $182,000 – I think this type of event will allow us to reach it. Fitness events are very successful. Other chapters’ signature events are runs and 5Ks, and they raise a couple hundred thousand dollars.” Get in on the fun and sign up at http://www.austinovertheedge.com/!
Tomorrow, March 24, H.E.A.T. Bootcamp is taking action to provide relief to Japan in wake of the recent earthquake and tsunami. Fitness Flash Mob: A Tribute to Japan will consist of 500 people “illuminated only by glow bracelets” performing a choreographed mix of “simple exercise, dance, and yoga led by Austin’s top trainers and yoga instructors.” According to the event’s Facebook page, 100 percent of proceeds will go to Japan through the American Red Cross. At $10 per person, that’s $5,000 for Japan. Simply show up at the Long Center, buy your glow bracelet and rock out in choreographed fashion for a great tribute!
Extreme and eccentric events like flash mobs and rappelling down a 32-story building are only a few ways you can get your workout on while donating to someone or something in need. Want a list of fundraising and fitness activities? So did I. Austin360.com’s recreation events calendar is a good one, and as always, RunTex’s calendar is a great list of fitness events, most of which sponsor organizations or charities.
Happy helping!

3 comments:

  1. The flash mob for Japan is pretty inspiring. I really am impressed with the fitness community of Austin. Good work Leah! I'm finding your blog very resourceful for someone who is not as athletically inclined....like me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to this marathon to watch a few of my friends. What an inspiring thing to do! I love that you incorporated Make-A-Wish. I am proud that it's is my sorority's philanthropy. How cool is it that you get to do what you love and kids benefit from it? So Awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As if getting fit wasn't motivation enough, this blog definitely was! That's amazing that LIVESTRONG has raised so much through membership and races.

    ReplyDelete