Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Don't let the Austin heat beat you

Running in Texas heat has never been an easy feat for me, but this year it seems like hot, humid runs are already making a difference in my speed and overall energy. My daily four-milers in up to 90 degrees are stickier and slower than those in the dry 50-degree weather I was spoiled with in January and February.
I’m starting to worry that by the time July rolls around, I’ll have to wake up at 5 a.m. to get a run in that doesn’t end in cardiac arrest. And we all know that is not going to happen. What’s a runner to do?
How the heat handles you
A 2009 Runner’s World article examined the effects of heat by measuring internal body temperatures of a typical runner during a 53-degree run and another during a 90-degree run.  In layman terms, here’s what was affected after an hour of running in a heat-controlled chamber at the University of Connecticut:
-     Hydration levels: losing electrolytes causes heat cramps, especially in the legs and diaphragm.
-    Internal body temperature: the runner’s core temperature reached 103.5, dangerously close to the 104-degree mark most physicians say causes heatstroke.
-    Heart rate: running in the heat causes a much higher heart rate than running in cooler temperatures, and when coupled with dehydration, can cause heat exhaustion.
-    Lactic acid levels: intense running produces lactic acid, which causes hydrogen ions to accumulate in our blood. Enough ions can push runners over the lactate acid threshold, when leg muscles can no longer efficiently function.
-    Plasma volume: decreased plasma makes your blood thicker. The thicker your blood is, the harder your heart has to work to pump blood to your legs.
How you handle the heat
In my last post, I mentioned staying hydrated will help combat the tiring effects of hot running. Drinking more water than you think necessary before, during and after a run is the most effective way to avoid heat exhaustion. Add ice, too – the colder the water, the easier it is to decrease your internal temperature. I see a lot of runners at Town Lake with handy water belts or hand-held water bottles.
Fuel Belt 'Terminator'
 
Nike Running Hand-Held Water Bottle

Keeping your external temperature down is also important. Avoid cotton exercise clothes and go for light-colored technical material, like Nike Dri-FIT products, which won’t absorb as much heat from the sun and allow your skin to breathe. Putting ice under your hat is a good idea, as it will keep your head and neck cool as it melts.
You can also train to build up your heat tolerance. Some runners practice in simulated conditions by adding extra layers of sweatshirts, pants and hats. I personally wouldn’t, as I hate running in extreme heat and will put it off for as long as possible. But a lot of people say it works, so if you try it, be careful and start slowly by increasing layers first, not physical exertion.
And of course, you can always hit the gym to use cardio machines. Cross-training actually helps develop muscles that are typically ignored while running, like hamstrings, and provides some variety for your workout schedule.
Have any more ideas to beat the heat? I’d love to know!



5 comments:

  1. Great topic, Leah! I have tried the ice-in-a-zippy-bag-under-the-hat thing. It actually does help. Hey - I did see there is a "Bare as you Dare" nekkid 5k this summer, maybe you'd stay cooler...GAK - can you imagine...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a super informative and creative idea! I was actuallly at 1379, here in Austin, which is a kids sports store, looking at getting my little brother something and saw these water bottles for kids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know that heat could affect your plasma volume! That's so bizarre to me. Great info, and yet another excuse for me not to go running in Texas! Stay safe schleah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, another excuse to skip a run and head to the gym :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a committed runner!! I used to run cross-country in the months of August-October in Houston! It was soooo hot, and I wish I had read this blog before! However, it seems like you have the right idea--- stay hydrated and stay motivated! Great post!

    ReplyDelete